KAHPERD and Hoops for Heart
Hoops For Heart (HFH) is a national fundraising program jointly sponsored by SHAPE America and the AHA. HFH promotes physical activity, heart healthy living, and community service. HFH targets middle school students, but anyone can hold a JRFH event. Hoops For Heart...
- Is a fun event for the entire school!
- Promotes community service
- Is an educational program for middle school students
- Funds lifesaving research and educational programs that fight heart disease and stroke
- Teaches students to set goals and discover that they can make a difference!
How Partnership Works
HFH events are conducted in schools by physical education instructors, coaches or teachers and can be scheduled whenever it’s convenient — during physical education class, lunch or before or after school. Once you register, you’ll receive an event kit with everything you need to conduct a successful HFH event:
- Step-by-step instructions on scheduling, promoting and conducting the event.
- Educational modules for heart-healthy curriculum to support heart awareness with the event.
- Tips for fundraising. Participants ask friends and family for donations and receive thank-you gifts based on the dollars they raise. Our online tool makes raising money safe, easy and fun for families and schools.
- Training and support from an experienced American Heart Association staff person.
- Teachers receive opportunities for professional development at the state/national level.
During Hoops For Heart Events
- Kids learn the value of community service and become empowered to contribute to their community’s welfare.
- Children join together in helping other kids with special hearts.
- Students learn how to develop heart-healthy habits while being physically active.
- Participants learn jump rope and basketball skills they can use for the rest of their lives.
- Kids raise funds for research and outreach programs that can save lives.
Benefits for Your School
- HFH is a great service learning project offering students a terrific way to participate in community
- Service fund research and educational programs that impact every community
- Integrate physical activity and critical thinking skills
- Encourage cooperative activity
- Provide fun ways to support physical education and health education standards
- Reward schools with physical education gift certificates based on dollars raise
Why it's an Important Event
- Heart disease ranks as this nation's No. 1 killer
- Stroke is No. 3 and a leading cause of serious disability
- Every year, 1 million people die from cardiovascular disease and stroke -- that's 1 of every 2.5 deaths in the United States
- Cardiovascular disease and stroke may remain critical problems in the future because of poor lifestyle habits among American adults and children
- Over 15 % of children and adolescents are now overweight
- 4 million children have above-normal blood pressure
- 27 million children have high cholesterol
If you are interested in signing up to coordinate a Jump Rope for Heart or Hoops for Heart event contact Jenny Nixon, AHA Regional Vice President,Youth Market (KS/MO/SoIL), email@example.com or KAHPERD Joint Projects Chairs Jaime McVeyjmcvey@usd374.org, AHA staff will provide you will necessary tool kits to help you organize your event. KAHPERD will also provide support upon request.
- Each Hoop/Jump Rope for Heart Coordinator, who completes an event, will receive a redeemable coupon for $10.00 off membership in KAHPERD.
- KAHPERD will electronically deliver the coordinator incentive with a printable attachment. This coupon must be redeemed by May 31st of the following year.
- KAHPERD Executive Director will reward coordinators who raised $5000+ with one free one year KAHPERD membership. (9/11)
- KAHPERD Executive Director will contact and reward coordinators who raised $7500+ with one (1) free KAHPERD convention registration that must be redeemed by May 31st of the following year. (9/11)
American Heart Association Incentives
- AHA presents an official JRFH/HFH Banner to each school completing an event.
- Event coordinators also receive a thank-you gift from AHA.
- AHA awards US GAMES gift certificates to event coordinators who reach a minimum of $1,500. These certificates can be used to supplement the school’s physical education equipment and supplies.
- If a coordinator refers a non-participating school and the new school completes an event that raises $1000 or more, the referring coordinator will receive a $50 US Games gift certificate.
$1,500 to 2,999
$3,000 to 4,999
$5,000 to 7,499
$7,500 to 9,999
$10,000 to 14,999
$15,000 to 19,999
$20,000 to 24,999
$25,000 to 29,999
$30,000 to 34,999
SHAPE America Incentives
- All coordinators that raise at least $2000 receive a one year free SHAPE America E-Membership