Wayne Osness Honor Award
Dr. Wayne Osness was appointed to the faculty of the University of Kansas in 1966. In addition to teaching, he directed the Graduate Program and the Exercise Physiology Laboratory in the Department until 1973 when he was appointed Chair of the Department. He Chaired the Department for 35 years and retired in 2002. He published 113 scholarly papers, 4 books and gave over 200 presentations.
Dr. Osness was very active professionally at the State, District, National, and International levels. He was president of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, the National Association for Sport and Physical Education and held leadership positions in other organizations including The United States Olympic Committee. He was awarded the Luther Halsy Gulick Medal for his contribution to the profession.
- A member of KAHPERD for more than 10 years
- A member of SHAPE America
- Demonstrates leadership in the profession
- Has made a significant contribution to the profession (article/book publication, presentations, or related contribution)
- Demonstrates service given to the profession (teaching, administrative, committee contributions, or related service) and community
- Personal/Professional accomplishments
Vicki Worrell Service Award
Dr. Vicki J. Worrell enjoys the challenge of guiding undergraduate and graduate students to become the best teachers they can be by emphasizing the need for implementing quality BEST teaching practices.
She has made 400+ presentations at international, national, regional, state and local conventions and workshops. She has a passion for fundamental motor patterns, fitness activities, advocacy and creating practical, authentic assessments.
Dr. Worrell has co-authored nine books and has published numerous articles in various professional journals.
Her professional involvement includes having served as President of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, President of the Central District Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, and President of the Kansas Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance as well as the Executive Director of KAHPERD for 24 years.
The recipient of numerous awards, Dr. Worrell was selected as the 1993 National Elementary Physical Educator of the Year, was inducted as a 2012 Fellow of the North, received the Joy of Effort Award as well as Honor Award recognitions from AAHPERD, CDAHPERD and KAHPERD.
- A member of KAHPERD for more than 5 years
- A member of SHAPE America
- Has exemplified the spirit of devoted service and contributions:
- To one or more of the following areas within the professional realms of health, physical education, recreation, and dance:
- To the KAHPERD organization, program/committee work
- To promoting healthy, active lifestyles and/or representing the profession
Kathy Ermler Technology Award
Dr. Kathy Ermler has had a major impact on health and physical education in Kansas as well as nationally. Kathy helped establish KAHPERD’s webpage and served as KAHPERD’s first webmaster. Kathy served as Chair of the NASPE Public Relations Committee from 2007-2010. During this time, the NASPE Teacher Toolbox was established. The Teacher Toolbox created the activity calendar which is still popular today. Kathy also provided service to KAHPERD within the positions of KAHPERD President, Journal Editor, Electronic Editor and Awards Chair.
- A current member of KAHPERDand a member for a minimum of 5 years
- Demonstrates innovative programming while utilizing technology to promote classroom and/or school activities (noted with references)
Award Recipient Requirements:
- Award recipients will be encouraged to present at the following year’s KAHPERD conference and submit an article for the KAHPERD journal/newsletter.